Learn More About
Compass Pointe Golf Club
The Compass Pointe Golf Club is rapidly gaining the reputation as one of the most challenging and FUN golf courses around! The course design features wide and fast fairways; large undulating Champion Bermuda greens; and picturesque, native Carolina landscaping which creates an exceptional golf experience. The flexibility of design allows golfers to choose a set of tees that suits their game. This includes a set of “Family Tees” that are great for juniors, older players and that special “social” golf experience.
The course plays at 7,228 yards from the championship tees and a course rating of 74.6 to 4,733 yards from the forward tees. Compass Pointe Golf Club offers a professional driving range and short game practice area, and the area’s most unique lighted putting green and putting course.
Designed by North Carolina native Rick Robbins, the course provides unusual elevation changes for coastal areas with having the highest elevation at 75 feet above sea level. Former President of the American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA), Mr. Robbins is known for creating exceptional layouts blending challenging golf with natural beauty in projects domestically and internationally. Rick states,
“I am very pleased and proud of the results at Compass Pointe Golf Club. The property is unique to the area because of the elevation changes, but also because of the excellent soil and sand that provides for outstanding drainage and native vegetation growth. I believe that Compass Pointe golf will quickly become one of the most sought after golf destinations in the region.”
- ASGCA 2017 Design Excellence Recognition
- Environmentally friendly design that includes protection of natural resources, reduction of water use and incorporation of native waste areas within the holes.
- Unique use of natural land features including wetlands, vegetation and wildlife habitat to create a course that fits into its environment.
- Old style “push up greens” using native sand from within the site, which is more like the style of Pinehurst in the 1920’s.
- Elevations that range from 23-75 feet above sea level.
- Grasses that are tolerant of our climate and environment.
- A 19th hole to finish the round that can be used to settle wagers or just be a fun ending to the round.
- The facility includes one of the most complete short-game areas anywhere in the region with an 18-hole putting course, chipping green, sand play green, regular putting green and huge practice range.
- Contours and drainage to make play possible all year long with no wait time after rain
- Careful placement of bunkers to help define strategy
- Wide fairways and large greens that are meant to play “firm and fast”, allowing shots to be hit along the ground like they do in Scotland
- Tees that range from 5000 – 7000+ yards
- Variety of directions for the par 3 and par 5 holes to provide different challenges
- Flexible pin placement on greens that can be modified for tournaments or quick daily play
- Family tees that allow every hole to be played as a Par 3
- The design, challenge and natural features of holes #2 and #18 will make these be known as the “signature holes” at Compass Pointe
Golf Club Staff
Director of Golf Operations
Originally from Burgaw, Ferrell has spent his entire professional career on a golf course. From washing carts part time during the summers at Olde Point to managing Cedarwood Country Club in Charlotte and then River’s Edge in Shallotte, Ferrell has arrived in Leland. The call of home drew him back to his roots, and his professional connection to the new owners provided him the opportunity to take his place managing one of the most attractive courses in the state along with it’s “Sister Course”, the equally beautiful Magnolia Greens Golf Course.
Fred has over 20 years in the golf industry and is a life time member of the PGA. Known for his customer service approach to the golf experience, Fred and his team of ‘ambassadors’ provide outstanding services throughout your round.